Parental Authority

If you are married to the other parent of your child, both parents have parental authority. This means that you are both responsible for the care and education of your child, and you are also the legal representatives of your child. After a divorce, you both still have parental authority over your children, unless the court decides otherwise.

If you and your ex-partner cannot agree on issues such as choosing your child’s school or moving with the child, and are unable to find a solution, you can ask the court to decide.

If you are not married but have acknowledged your child, you can file a joint request in court for shared custody. If the other parent does not agree, you can file a separate request to the court. Franssen Advocaten can assist you in this.

Lees over ouderlijk gezag in het Nederlands